Skip to main content

Home  >  Employment  >  FAQ


FAQ about employment at the DOC
Who do I contact for employment verifications?
Prospective employers, financial institutions, and residential property managers routinely contact the DOC requesting information on a former or current employee’s work history and salary. All such requests shall be referred to and completed by the human resources department.

For written requests, information will be provided on the form provided only when it is accompanied by a former or current employee’s signed authorization to release information form. The written form will be returned directly to the requesting party. The forms may be faxed to 608-240-3347 to the attention of “Payroll.”

The number to call for employment verifications is 608-240-5474. Please be aware the only information given out via telephone is whether an individual is a former or current employee of the DOC. Any salary questions must be accompanied by a signed authorization by a former or current employee and faxed to 608-240-3347 to the attention of “Payroll.”

How do I apply for a job at DOC?
You should visit Wisc.Jobs and follow the How To Apply section in the Job Announcement. Applications for positions are only accepted during the time they are published on Wisc.Jobs.

How will I know when a job is published that I have been waiting for?
You should create a Job Cart in Wisc.Jobs, and set up E-Notify. You will get an automatic email every time a position is published that matches your criteria in E-Notify.

I haven't heard anything back about a position I applied for.
You should check your job cart in Wisc.Jobs for your exam score and whether your name was added to the interview list (certification). If you already interviewed for a position and are wondering about the status, you can contact the employing unit's human resources office and ask about the status of the position.

I see in the job announcement that the Department of Corrections conducts background checks on applicants. Where can I verify the information on my record? You can verify your record by viewing yourself at the Wisconsin Circuit Court website and the Wisconsin Department of Justice website. There is a fee associated with the accessing your DOJ record. You can verify your Wisconsin driving record at the Wisconsin Department of Transportation website. There is also a fee associated with accessing your driver’s abstract. If you have ever held a license outside the State of Wisconsin, you should contact that state’s Department of Transportation to obtain your driver’s abstract.

I see in the job announcement that the Department of Corrections requires licensure or certification for some positions. Where can I learn more? For education positions, you can visit the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction website. For Correctional Staff Certification, visit the Wisconsin Technical College System website. For healthcare positions, you can visit the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services website.

Where can I learn about the benefits available to me as an employee of the State of Wisconsin? You can find detailed information at the Wisconsin Department of Employee Trust Funds website.

I am thinking about moving to the State of Wisconsin. Where could I find general information about your state? You can visit the website for general information about the State of Wisconsin.

Where can I read Wisconsin State Statutes that govern operations at the Department of Corrections? Wisconsin State Statutes 301, 302, 303, 304, 938.

Where can I read the Wisconsin State Statute governing state employment? Wisconsin State Statute 230