Dodge Correctional Institution
Mr. Marc Clements, Warden
1 W. Lincoln St.
P.O. Box 661
Waupun, WI 53963-0661
A&E Fax: 920-324-6281
Inmate Mail - P.O. Box 700, Zip 53963-0700
Visiting - general information
Visiting - general information - Spanish
Visiting guidelines - Miscellaneous visiting guidelines
Authorized property upon intake
The mission of the Dodge Correctional Institution is to serve as the central reception center for all adult male inmates sentenced by courts to prison.
DCI promotes safety for the community, staff and inmates through effective, humane custody and supervision of inmates and by providing services to inmates which will enable them to successfully re-enter society with the tools necessary to become valued and contributing members of their communities.
In support of this mission, DCI has the following broad responsibilities:
- To receive and facilitate the assessment of adult male inmates sentenced to prison by the court. This process includes admission, initial record development, medical and mental health screening, and initial classification of inmates.
- To provide safe and secure centralized transportation services for the Division of Adult Institutions.
- To supervise the movement and restrict the freedom of inmates to the extent necessary to ensure public, staff, and inmate safety.
- To provide training, work experience, coping skills, and other programs and services which enable and encourage constructive inmate participation and prepare for the eventual reentry of the individual inmates in the community.
- To monitor and audit institution operations and programs for general effectiveness and achievement of specific results.
- To administer Wisconsin State Statutes, DOC Administrative Rules, and Division of Adult Institutions policies and procedures.
- To plan, coordinate, and administer a complex, multi-disciplinary and diverse workforce. To provide leadership that is proactive, innovative, supportive and responsive.
- To ensure that health care and psychological services are provided to inmates consistent with professional, community, and correctional health care standards.
- To manage resources in the most efficient, effective, and practical manner consistent with the attainment of institution goals.
DCI functions as the main reception center for all adult males committed to the DOC. It serves as the Assessment and Evaluation Center for the Division of Adult Institutions. DCI provides limited counseling and programs, which include Alcoholics Anonymous, Reentry Modules and religious services.
Special Historical Notes and Other Institutional Information
Chapter 29 of the Laws of 1977, authorized $2,470,000 of general obligation bonds to convert the Central State Hospital to an adult correctional facility. The first two inmates were transferred from the Waupun Correctional Institution to DCI on May 15, 1978. On Oct. 29, 1993, ground was broken for a $45 million expansion which more than doubled the size of the facility. On June 17, 1996, the first female was admitted to DCI making it the only reception center for both male and female adult felons committed to the DOC. DCI served as the reception center for both males and females until Dec. 1, 2004, when the female reception center moved to Taycheedah Correctional Institution. DCI also serves as the central medical center for the division providing both in-patient and out-patient care for male and female inmates.