Racine Correctional Institution
Mr. Paul S. Kemper, Warden
2019 Wisconsin St.
Sturtevant, WI 53177-1829
Phone: (262) 886-3214
Fax: (262) 886-3514
Visiting Information - English
Visiting Information - Spanish
Institution Annual Report
Sending Money, Mail, & Property
To give the men in our charge the ability to move forward from past poor decisions and behaviors that not only negatively impacted their lives, but other lives as well. This will be accomplished by providing them with a safe and secure environment, and affording them programming and educational opportunities to affect positive change in their lives and prepare them for their return to their society.
Special Historical Notes and Other Institutional Information
RCI officially opened its doors on May 6, 1991. Part of the facility was the former St. Bonaventure Prep School, which was founded in 1901 in Pulaski with the goal of preparing Polish youth for priesthood. The Franciscans who ran the school wanted a location that would draw students from the larger Polish populations of Milwaukee and Chicago, so, in 1921, they moved the facility to Sturtevant. As the years passed and interest in priesthood decreased, the school's focus changed to preparing young men for college. In 1982, financial difficulties forced Bonaventure to announce that it would close and in 1983, the school closed permanently. Racine Correctional Institution, a medium-security facility for adult males, was dedicated on that site in April of 1991.