Waupun Correctional Institution
Mr. William Pollard, Warden
200 S. Madison St.
P.O. Box 351
Waupun, WI 53963-0351
Latest Available Institution Annual Report
To provide for the public, the staff and inmates incarcerated at the Waupun Correctional Institution, a safe institution and for inmates, a constructive environment which encourages positive growth and enables them to reenter and cope with an ever changing society, thereby, enhancing their probability of success.
Special Historical Notes and Other Institutional Information
By an Act signed by Governor Dewey on March 14, 1851, a three-member prison commission was appointed to select a site for a penitentiary. On July 4, 1851, Waupun was chosen due to its proximity to the proposed Rock River Valley Railroad and the abundance of good quality building limestone. Construction of a temporary prison was started later that month. The first wardens were known by the title of prison commissioners, and were elected for a two-year term by general election. The Legislature of 1873 abolished the office and appointed a warden to supervise the prison. The original permanent building was constructed in 1854 and has been remodeled and remains in use today as the South Cell Hall. The original cell hall had 288 cells and was built using convict labor at a cost of $325 a cell.
The main administration building was built in 1855 and additional cell halls were added in 1854, 1906 and 1913. All of those original buildings are in use today. The large ornate stone and iron wall was constructed in 1858. Waupun also was the home for female prisoners until they were moved to the Women's Prison at Taycheedah in 1933. Continual improvements to the buildings and infrastructure have allowed WCI to meet the operational needs of a modern prison. In 1998, a new Health and Segregation Complex opened replacing buildings that dated back to the 1940's. On Jan. 22, 1992, the Wisconsin State Prison Historic District was entered on both the State Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places.