The good news is there are people in your agency with the skills and knowledge to help you. One element that helped us immensely was bringing together a group of subject matter experts who contributed to the design and implementation of our program. Depending on your agency and program, bringing together a cross-section of staff from health services, treatment specialists, reentry programs, research and data collection, and individuals in leadership positions can help ensure that your program is well thought out and can be successfully implemented.
The oversight committee can aid with developing guiding principles, bring in other resources as appropriate and necessary, and make sure that the program is going in the same direction as your organization. WI DOC’s oversight team consisted of staff representing:
- Leadership from across the agency
- Data collection and management
- Budget and fiscal services
- Probation and parole agents and supervisors
- Research and policy
- Institution security
- Treatment and programming
- Nursing, medical, and pharmacy
What can the oversight committee assist with?
- Developing a workplan
- Developing implementation timeline
- Developing a communication plan
- Developing training materials
- Defining roles and responsibilities