The purpose of Racine Correctional Institution (RCI) is to give the men in our charge the ability to move forward from past poor decisions and behaviors that not only negatively impacted their lives, but the lives of others as well. This will be accomplished by providing inmates with a safe and secure environment, in addition to opportunities to affect positive change in their lives through programming and education that will prepare them for return to society.
RCI officially opened its doors on May 6, 1991. A portion of the facility includes the former St. Bonaventure Prep School, which was founded in Pulaski in 1901. At that time, the school operated with the goal of preparing Polish youth for priesthood. The Franciscans who ran the school sought a location that would draw more students from the larger Polish populations of Milwaukee and Chicago, so, in 1921, the facility was moved to Sturtevant. As the years passed and interest in priesthood decreased, the school's focus changed to the preparation of young men for college. Due to financial difficulties, Bonaventure permanently closed its doors in 1983. The Racine Correctional Institution, a medium-security facility for adult males, was dedicated on that site in April of 1991.